Updated: Dec 8, 2022
IC-Friendly Recipe adapted from: tasteofhome.com
2 cups sugar, divided
3-1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
2 ounces white chocolate
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
3 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut (without problem ingredients)
1. In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook 1 cup sugar until it begins to melt. Gently pull melted sugar to the center of the pan so sugar melts evenly. Cook, without stirring, until dark reddish-brown, 10-15 minutes. Quickly pour into eight ungreased 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups, tilting to coat bottoms. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of saucepan. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, salt and remaining sugar. Stir 1 cup warm milk into egg mixture; return all to pan and mix well. Add extracts. Slowly pour into prepared dishes.
3. Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours.
4. Carefully, run a knife around edge of dishes to loosen; invert each dish onto a rimmed serving dish.
5. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over flans. Sprinkle with almonds and coconut. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings