Cheesy Roasted Red Pepper Stuffed Zucchini
This recipe is great on its own or served alongside grilled chicken. You can also add cooked ground turkey to the cheese mixture for a heartier main dish! Recipe adapted from @skinnytaste by Kerri Cole.
2 medium zucchini
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup cottage cheese
2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 roasted red pepper
Handful of torn fresh basil leaves
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat, aluminum foil, or parchment paper.
2. Cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out a channel down the middle of each zucchini half, making boats.
3. Rub the zucchini with the olive oil and a generous pinch of salt. Place the zucchini halves, cut-side-down, onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for about 12 minutes or until the zucchini is tender, but not soft.
4. Meanwhile, chop the roasted red pepper into small pieces. Then, in a small bowl, mix the peppers with the ricotta (or cottage cheese) and parmesan cheese.
5. Flip the zucchini so that they are cut-side-up and divide the ricotta-pepper mixture between the zucchini boats. Sprinkle mozzarella on top then place the zucchini back into the oven and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes, until the cheese melts and the zucchini is soft. Turn the oven to broil amd cook until the cheese bubbles and browns, an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Serve with basil scattered on top.
**You can make your own roasted red peppers (because of the citric acid in the store-bought jars). To do this, place whole pepper(s) on a foil lined pan and bake on 500 degrees for 25 minutes or until charred. Cover in foil for 10 minutes to steam, then remove (peel away) charred skin, seeds and stems.