Updated: Aug 11, 2022
It's Super Bowl weekend!
Now, whether you are a football fan or not, I’m almost positive you’re a foodie like me (it sure seems like everyone with IC is a foodie).
And we know that so many typical party dishes are not IC friendly, so I wanted to show you a few IC-friendly recipes you can make & take to a Super Bowl party or just enjoy in the comfort of your own home.
Remember, if you choose to indulge in a trigger food or beverage, it is OK, don’t beat yourself up over it.
Here are a few IC-friendly recipes to enjoy this weekend:
Broccoli Cheese & Potato Soup🥣
Recipe from @skinnytaste.
(Yields 5-6 servings)
1 small onion, chopped (omit if not tolerated)
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour (all purpose, whole wheat or gluten-free flour)
32 oz box chicken broth
1 cup fat free milk (or milk alternative)
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
1/4 tsp kosher salt and fresh pepper
4 rounded cups about 2 heads broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
1-1/2 cups reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar
2 slices 2% American cheese
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1. Chop onion, carrot, celery, garlic in a chopper or mini food processor. 2. In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add chopped vegetables and sauté on low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. 3. Add flour, salt and pepper to the pot and stir until smooth. 4. Add chicken broth, milk and potatoes and set heat to high until it comes to a boil, then cover and cook on low until potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes. (You can add chicken bouillon seasoning if you’d like it a little more flavorful.) 5. Add broccoli florets, Parmesan cheese, and stir well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered until broccoli is cooked, about 5 minutes. 6. Add cheddar and American cheese, stir well and remove from heat. 7. Using an immersion blender quickly blend part of the soup for a quick second or two (like only 3 quick pulses). If you don't have an immersion blender, remove about 1-2 cups of potatoes and broccoli, place it in your chopper, then add it back to the soup. This helps thicken it a bit.
White Bean Turkey Chili
Recipe by @icfood4u
1 pound ground turkey 3 cans pinto beans (two regular, one pureed/blended for thickness) 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion (if tolerated) 1/2 cup chopped celery 1 chopped red bell pepper 1-1/2 cups corn (frozen or can) 2 cups chicken broth (without problem ingredients) 1 Tbsp minced garlic 1 Tbsp all purpose flour 1 tsp cumin 1 tsp dried oregano 1 Tbsp olive oil salt & pepper to taste (if tolerated) ✨Toppings (optional): cheese, crushed tortilla chips, green onions (if tolerated), sour cream or greek yogurt (if tolerated), avocado, cilantro
Directions: 1. In a large pot over medium heat warm the oil.
2. Add chopped veggies and sauté for 5 min.
3. Add turkey and cook through (at least 5 minutes). 4. Meanwhile, puree one can of beans (with juices) and drain and rinse the other two cans. 5. Add the garlic, flour, cumin and oregano to the turkey. Cook, stirring over low heat 2 minutes.
6. Add the broth, beans, pureed beans, and corn. Increase heat and bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
7. Reduce heat to simmering and cook 10 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. 8. Garnish with toppings.
Chicken and Cheese Nachos
Recipe by @icfood4u
Cooked Chicken, diced (sprinkled with a little cumin if tolerated, garlic powder and oregano) Tortilla Chips (without problem ingredients) Pinto Beans, rinsed well (if tolerated) Roasted Red Bell Pepper, diced Mozzarella Cheese, Monterrey Jack, Mild Cheddar Cheese, shredded Cilantro Greek Yogurt, plain
Directions: 1. Spread tortilla chips on oven pan (put down foil first for easier clean up). 2. Layer chips with cheese, chicken & seasonings, roasted red pepper, and beans. 3. Bake at 400 about 10 minutes until cheese is melted and starts to golden. 4. Sprinkle with cilantro and top with dollops of greek yogurt.
Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie 🍔
Recipe by @icfood4u (Kerri Cole)
From Kerri: This is an easy, make-ahead meal that my boys love. I used to top it with jalapeños, ketchup and all of the hamburger fixings. 😂 As an IC- safe meal, it is actually very flavorful. Serve with fries and a veggie. I like to make it with broiled zucchini slices.
Makes 6 slices/servings
1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
5 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled (nitrate free)
1/2 small onion, chopped (if tolerated)
salt, to taste
1/2-1 tsp garlic powder, to taste
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup pancake mix (I like Birch Benders, Simple Mills, or Kodiak cakes)
1 cup milk
1.Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.
2. Fry beef, onion and seasonings until browned. Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
3. In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with fork or wire whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate on top of beef mixture.
4. Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Chewy Carob Brownies
1/2 cup flour (gluten-free works too) 6 tablespoons roasted carob powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup cane sugar 1/2 cup coconut oil (or unsalted butter) 2 large eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Optional: 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (to sprinkle on baked and cooled brownies)
Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 350 for a metal pan or 325 for a glass baking dish. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. 2. Place flour, salt and carob in a bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine. Set aside. 3. In another large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Use an electric beater or stand mixer to cream the mixture until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. 4. Add dry ingredients and nuts (optional). Beat just until wet and dry ingredients are combined. Scrape brownie mixture into prepared baking pan. Bake in a metal pan for about 25 minutes (bake in a glass pan for about 35 minutes). 5. Watch cooking times carefully. When a toothpick inserted into the center of the baking dish comes out clean, the brownies are done. 6. Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. When cooled sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional).
I hope you enjoy these yummy recipes & comment what your thoughts were once you make/try them!!