Updated: Feb 19
This recipe was created/modified by Kerri Cole (@icfood4u). From Kerri "These peppers are so yummy! Fell free to omit the onions and cilantro if you are sensitive to them. My kids do not love bell peppers, so I typically set aside the meat filling for them and they make tacos with it."
1 lb 93% lean ground turkey 1 garlic, minced 1/4 onion, minced (can omit) 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (if tolerated) 1 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp cumin powder 1 tsp kosher salt 3 large sweet red bell peppers, washed 1 cup chicken broth 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice Olive oil spray 6 Tbsp mild shredded cheddar cheese
Directions: . Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray olive oil spray in a medium nonstick skillet and heat on medium heat.
2. Add onion, garlic and cilantro and saute about 2 minutes, add ground turkey, salt, garlic powder, cumin and cook meat for 4 to 5 minutes until meat is completely cooked through. 3. Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. 4. Combine cooked rice and meat together. 5. Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds.
6. Spoon 2/3 cup meat mixture into each pepper half and place in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
7. Top each with 1 tbsp cheese.
8. Pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan.
9. Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes. 10. Carefully remove the foil and enjoy.