Cheesy Chia Seed Crackers
These crackers are SO good.....gluten-free and low carb! Snack away, IC Warriors!
1 large organic egg
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup almond meal/flour
6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1. In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix until a dough ball forms.
2. If the dough is too wet and doesn't form into a ball add further almond meal, one tablespoon at a time. Conversely, if the dough is too dry add some water ½ teaspoon at a time.
3. Wrap dough in waxed paper or plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 3 days.
4. Remove the dough from the refrigerator 10 minutes before you are ready to roll it out.
5. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Place dough between two sheets of parchment paper, press into a flat disc, and roll it with a rolling pin until the dough is 1/8-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes using a knife or cutter. Any leftover dough can be rerolled for more crackers.
7. With a spatula, transfer the crackers to the prepared baking sheets, allowing nearly an inch between crackers.
8. Bake until the bottoms are browned, and the tops take on a good amount of color as well - 12 to 15 minutes, depending on how thick your crackers actually are. Check the oven often to prevent burning the crackers (I’ve learned the hard way!)
9. Rotate the sheets halfway through baking (or when the crackers in the back look like they are browning more quickly than the front).
10. Allow to cool before storing away.